Oprah Winfrey’s sit-down with Robert Pattinson, Kristen Stewart, and Taylor Lautner finally aired today. Here, a few of the things we learned:
• Human nature says if a Twilight star shows up at your front door, you can hug him without asking; if you meet her in public, you must ask. By far the best segment of the hour was Pattinson going door-to-door to invite Twihards to the Oprah taping. (Watch the video here.) Even though he was jetlagged, he was an amazing sport. He had to knock for a while at the first house because the teens were in the basement. They saw him, screamed, and immediately all plowed into him. They had no idea what to say to him. Then, he went to the door of a birthday girl. “Oh god, they’ve got a dog,” he said as he heard it barking from outside. Reactions here: the teen was stunned into near composure, her mother, not so much. “Ohmygod, he is so hot! He’s so hot!,” she shouted with her arm around him. Finally, he went to the home of a Twifamily. The dad answered the door with an “Oh my god!” But again, the mother was the most vocal, telling him “You’re beautiful.” He posed for a family photo and as he left, said, “That was nice. I kind of wanted to stay there and have dinner.” Lautner’s outing was to a sorority house that’s so obsessed with Twilight that they have a “Twilight room.” Watching the footage (catch it here), Oprah admitted she was concerned about sending Taylor in there — they might’ve ripped his shirt off. Thank god they were sober.
There was screaming, and automatic hugging, but again, it seemed as though they really didn’t have much to say to him. At least from what we saw. Stewart’s superfan was a 15-year-old from the Caribbean who loves Bella because she doesn’t change herself to fit in. (Except for becoming a vampire!) She got to meet Stewart onstage, and asked if she could hug her. They posed for a photo, and Stewart gave her a ring she wears in the film.
• Twimom parties involve alcohol. I don’t know why this surprised me, but I approve of the cocktails and wine. (Also the chocolate-dripped strawberries — white for Edward, dark for Jacob.) Oprah sent Ali Wentworth to meet four moms who are so obsessed with Twilight their young children stay stuff like, “She watches only the Edward scenes” and “You love Edward more than me.” Twilight is a way to revisit the passion of first love without cheating on your husband, they said. It also gives you something to talk to your friends about… as you walk on a fake red carpet in your basement and pose with a cutout of Pattinson.
• Pattinson, Lautner, and Stewart have no friends. Or, at least none who want to see them on a Saturday night. Oprah asked what they’d be doing that night of the week if she were to look in their windows (call police?). Pattinson said he’d be desperately calling everyone he’s ever met because no one thinks to call him. Lautner said he’d be bored because he doesn’t have American Idol or Celebrity Apprentice to watch, and no one calls him either. Stewart said she’s petting the cat with whom she has a codependent relationship.
• If Rob could have been on either People‘s Most Beautiful list or the Time 100 countdown of the world’s most influential people — and only one of them — he would have gone with People. “Definitely beautiful,” he said, laughing. But his reasoning was surprisingly sound: “I have no reason to influence people.” He noted that three years ago, he couldn’t influence his dog to walk. “I was above Obama,” he said in disbelief.
• Rob learned his American accent by watching American films and rapping. (He wanted to be a rapper when he was 14; Oprah was sad she had not known this sooner or we would have heard a recording.) Difficult words for Brits to pull off in “American”: water, pasta, and nachos.
• Kristen is still shy and awkward, so Oprah hugged her at one point. But the girl is smart. When Oprah asked what scene she and Robert read for the Twilight audition, she purposely avoided saying the bedroom kiss. But Oprah had done her research, so they still had to talk about it. They also had to address whether they were dating. You already know that he answered, “Kristen’s pregnant,” when Oprah asked, and Kristen joked that he’s going to have the baby. The reason: She has too small a frame. That, by the way, wasn’t Oprah’s touchiest question. She put 18-year-old Lautner on the spot when she asked him if he’s really never had a drink or a cigarette. He said he hasn’t. Was he supposed to say yes, Oprah?
• Taylor doesn’t think he’s funny. Which is why his ideal woman is funny, loyal, honest, and can let loose and be herself.
• People have stopped asking Taylor to howl. He’s not sure where he said that it annoyed him, but he thanks you for listening.
Bonus fact from Dakota Fanning: Her 12-year-old sister is making a robot at school named Rob-ot Pattinson.
Source: Entertainment Weekly